Thursday, April 18, 2019

THE CARAVAN By Miguel Perez




Walking day and night
Even in the morning light,
How frigid I find myself
Here in this caravan.

Now from such a long walk
We are often shaking
Anything can be endured
But least of all hunger.

Photos from Tucson Samaritans *



At night I am frightened
To see my uncle trembling
How could he not?
If we don’t die from the cold..
To enliven the group of walkers
I sing a song of valor
But wait til they see how harsh
It is to fight the heat.

We will walk, we will walk
We will do what we have to do
Even if at the middle of the journey
We die then of thirst.

So sad, these people
That back there come walking
They are not criminals
They come seeking ‘life.’

Let’s go and give them a hand
And let’s support these people
That hardly matter to anyone,
That are unwanted by the President.

There are those who speak about this
They call it an ‘invasion’
I see it with different eyes
I believe it is a ‘benediction.’


Photos from Tucson Samaritans *



From miles away you can see they are
Peaceful and of different ages
So don’t confuse them
With those threatening security.

Help these people.
It is not rocket science
I remind all of you
That this is a question of conscience.

Worn down by weariness
I move to my left and to my right
To see if they will have pity on me
And if they will let me ride the ‘bestia.’

I feel like a very small creature
I was brought here by my parents
Senor Trump, don’t separate us
Or, is it that you never had a mother?

What a tremendous deception!
I feel so stupid,
Hearing  over and over, the President,
Repeating  ‘fake news.’

Finally we arrive at our goal
At a shady spot under a mesquite tree
I hope and pray that the President
Doesn’t take my children away.

Photos from Tucson Samaritans *

December,  2018

* Photos generously provided by 'Tucson Samaritans' in Tucson, Arizona, http://www.tucsonsamaritans.org





No comments:

Post a Comment